



Federation Square installs water tanks
Peter Ker May 14, 2008
The tanks just keep on rolling in around Melbourne.
A bulk order of 63 rainwater tanks has been installed at Federation Square, improving the environmental credentials of Melbourne's major meeting place.
Original plans for tanks to be included at the Square were abandoned in 2002 to save $350,000 in construction costs. The decision was typical of attitudes at the time, with the Southern Cross Station redevelopment across town also overlooking water storage.
Years of severe drought have changed attitudes.
Federation Square's 63 new tanks - which complement the nine installed last year - are in a service trench underneath the Alfred Deakin building, near Flinders Street.
Federation Square chief executive Kate Brennan said the tanks had the capacity to hold 100,000 litres.
"We're hoping that it rains soon and they fill up," she said.
The water collected will flush toilets and Ms Brennan said she hoped the tanks would help reduce water use by more than 12 million litres each year.
Progress has been slower at Southern Cross Station, where planning for tanks is still under way.
Two tanks holding a total of 250,000 litres of rainwater have been planned, with additional run-off to be stored in the Bourke Street main drain.
Station Authority chief executive Jackie Barry said that despite a tender being offered 11 months ago, the $1.2 million water harvesting works were still months away.
Melbourne's new convention centre will also harvest rainwater from the roof into a blackwater (sewage) recycling unit.
Melbourne's water authorities are keen to encourage increased water harvesting into tanks, but insist it is not a viable way to solve Melbourne's overall water supply difficulties.
This artical discusses the new water saving craze and the use in many iconic locations such as Southern Cross station and Fed square, although stating this will not be that final do or die answer to water crisis.
Pisa's leaning tower 'safe for 300 years'
May 29, 2008 - 10:10AM
The leaning tower of Pisa has been successfully stabilised and is out of danger for at least 300 years, said an engineer who has been monitoring the iconic Italian tourist attraction.
"All of our expectations have been confirmed," Professor Michele Jamiolkowski, an engineer and geologist, was quoted as telling Italy's leading newspaper, Corriere della Sera.
The tower's tilt of about four metres off the vertical has remained stable in recent years, after a big engineering project that ended in 2001 corrected its lean by about 40 centimetres from where it was in 1990 when the project began.
"Now we can say that the tower can rest easy for at least 300 years," Jamiolkowski told the paper in an article published today.
The tower was shut to visitors for almost 12 years from 1990 - when it was sinking about a millimetre a year - and reopened in December, 2001 at the end of the biggest phase of the consolidation and restoration project.
The 14,000-tonne free-standing bell tower, an internationally recognised architectural symbol of Italy along with Rome's Colosseum, was built in several stages between 1174 and 1370.
It began to tilt after completion of several storeys due to unstable ground. Builders at first used trapezoidal stones to return the structure to the vertical but the tower continued to lean.
During the stabilisation phase of the project which ended in 2001 the structure was anchored to cables while cement was injected to relieve pressure on the ground. The lean of the tower is now considered safe and is about what it was in 1700.
Restorers are now using a specially-designed, light-weight scaffolding made of an aluminium alloy as a base from which to clean the tower's white and grey marble.
Officials have said over the years that they have no intention of straightening the tower, which would detract from its unique status and tourist draw.
Astronomer Galileo, who was hauled before the Vatican's Inquisition for his view that the earth revolved around the sun, is said to have used the tower of his hometown for experiments on gravity.
This artical discusses the life of one of the worlds most iconic structurs, while not a new technoogy or discovery it is still relevant and interesting
Construction work done rises 2.3%
May 28, 2008 - 11:32AM
Total construction work done in Australia rose 2.3 per cent in the March quarter in volume terms, seasonally adjusted.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said total construction work done was valued at $29.968 billion, compared with an upwardly revised $29.300 billion in the December quarter.
The median market forecast was for a rise of 2.0 per cent.
The ABS said total building work done in the March quarter fell to $16.445 billion, seasonally adjusted, from an upwardly revised $16.450 billion in the December quarter.
Engineering work done rose to $13.524 billion from $12.850 billion.
The artical paints a growing trend of continued construction, however how long the economy can support this is under question
Exterior end result of panel construction.
Note the lack of any exterior bolting of fixings.
Major draw backs include the use of cranes which can lead to traffic congestion.